These compost bin LIDS are designed to allow control over the amount of rain entering the bin. When the material inside starts to compost heat is produced which kills weed seeds and diseased material. Without a lid rain entering will cool down the mix, wash out nutrients and make this process less efficient and makes the contents wet and soggy.
One lid on a single Compost Bin
Made from wood
Green Felt covered
Easily fitted and removed
2ft. (0.6m) and 3ft. (0.9m) square lids in one piece sloping to the back
4ft. (1.2m) square lid is in two pieces and pitched in the middle
Rain water runs off
A Heavy Duty Lid
Long lasting design
Benefits rule 5 & 6 of the 7 composting rules (click here)Two lids on a double Compost Bin
Example: a double Compost Bin 6ft. (1.8m) x 3ft. (0.9m) x 3ft. (0.9m) has two bins and requires two lids. We can make and supply lids to fit other makes of compost bins. Please contact us with details for a price.
Three lids on a triple Compost Bin
(Scroll down for available sizes and prices)
Seven composting rules – sounds easy!
Composting can be considered as little more than waste material management. However, the finished product can have huge benefits for the enviroment. Good quality compost is produced by following seven simple rules. Consider compost making in terms of following a recipe for making a cake. The better the rules are adhered to the better the cake.
Composting will happen of its own accord without any intervention. Visit any wood and various stages of the biological process will be on view. These range from uncomposted leaves,semi-rotted material to dark rich crumbly damp soil. The end result of the composting process.
The 7 RULES:
1) Start with ‘green’ waste (material high in nitrogen such as grass, animal manure, green leave weeds etc.)
2) Add ‘brown’ waste (material high in carbon such as shrub prunings, a few brown leaves, straw, crunched up paper, straw etc.
3) shred/chip and mix the greens with the browns
4) Add micro-organisms to speed up the process such as Garotta or Biotal for example
5) Insulate and protect the heat produced by the composting process
6) Control the moisture content – use a lid to prevent too much rain getting in, and add water if the contents dry out
7) Maintain air flow as necessary, too much and the material dries out. Too little and its stays wet and soggy for too long
Delivery Details – Other Products:
Products on this page have the delivery charge ‘waived’ when purchased with a ‘Main Product’. Please see our ‘Delivery’ information page. Please allow 1 – 28 days for delivery.